We have been away from school for four days now as we are off Monday and Tuesday for a Czech holiday commemorating the creation of the state of Czechoslovackia in 1918. Our problem has a very sporadic internet connection to our apartment for some time now. Right now we at a nearby restaurant using their wi-fi because ours is so unreliable. Also, Liz has been having quite a lot of pain in her back that makes it hard for her to get out of bed in the morning - so that is a definite prayer request.




Yesterday we got together with Rebekah for lunch. Rebekah brought of the ingredients for a beet/spaghetti meal that we ate at noon. It was very unusual and tasted better than I anticipated. All-in-all the meal was a rousing success. I spent about three hours putting some foam insulation in the outer windows of the two bedrooms. We had noticed quite a bit of cold air pouring in the bottom of the small bedroom windows. I used about one hundred twenty feet of the insulating foam tape. Yes - we have rather large windows in both bedrooms. An unanticipated result was that the bedrooms are now quieter - a very good thing. I will probably do the same thing in the living room soon.




I will throw in a pictures of our two bedrooms and bathroom for those who have not yet seen them. One bedroom is quite large and the other one (which we sleep in) is much smaller. Our bath is quite nice - but not as nice as it looks in the picture.
Rebekah and Rachel went out together to watch a movie at Rebekah's apartment so Liz and I tried to do some things around the apartment and some school work. About 4:00 PM our door buzzer sounded and it was Sam. He is a K-State student from near Topeka who is in Prague this semester on an exchange program. Sam and Liz seem to have a lot in common as both come from small towns and like quiet and the outdoors, but not necessarily the big city outdoors.
We chatted for awhile and then walked to Wencelas Square and on toward Old Town. We had a light meal at an Irish Pub. One thing that we did not anticipate is that the out-to-eat meal portions are huge in Prague. Liz and I almost always share a meal and often have food left over. We just had pork in gravy and potatoe dumplings and could not finish it all. However we just ordered a chocolate, apricot, cheese strudel desert and a latte. Life can be good in Prague if you don't try and be too American. We do spend quite a bit of time being American here and like to be with other North Americans, but we do adapt to Czech ways when necessary and have learned to go with the Czech flow - which is often a very twisty flow and you can not see around the corner until you are right at the twist.
All for now as my battery is dying and I want to post what I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment