Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday School Pics or Our Weekend Starts Before Yours

Friday Mornings we have Chapel the first hour of school for 7th through 12th grade. There is great participation in worship by the students. The singing is very good and quite boisterous. There are lots of good musicians - both vocal and instrumental. We have guitar, bongos, piano and vocalists to lead worship, except this year we don't have a piano as the upper school kids meet separately from the elementary in chapel for the first time - the school is growing. I will name a few of the most visible students: In the back row on the left is Emily - a senior in my physics class. Emily is an extraordinary young lady who is very mature in her thinking. She is more or an art oriented person, but still wanted to take physics. In the striped shirt in front of Em is Joana who is a Macedonian. I have her in Algebra 2. The smaller girl in the light blue at the front is Jessica. She is totally precious. Both Emily and Jessica are fluent in Czech and have lived here most of their lives. Jessica is in 7th grade so I am acquainted with her from my job as caretaker of some PE classes until we get a real PE teacher - any volunteers? There are so many kids I want to mention. David, a senior, who is seated, is running the songs. He is Jessica's big brother - a very helpful person to know as he does lots to make the school a better place. To David's right with the long dark hair is Teamea, a jewel in Algebra 2. The boy with the long hair, glasses and wearing a striped shirt is Roger - my star scientific/mathematician. I have him in physics and calculus. To Roger's left is Robbie - Em's little brother - who is one of the best athletes in the school. I have not found - and do not expect to find - a single student whom I do not really like. We have a great collection of kids in the upper school! The next picture is a typical classroom scene, except this is a very large class - the 9th and 10th grade students.












This is what a warm weather lunch time is like. The older girls have their tree to gather around and the boys have their tree. The boys are just waiting to get on the pitch on the other side of the fence to start playing soccer. I gave them an American football today to see if they would do something different today, but the only one interested was Aji, who is from Indonesia. You can see me sitting on the bench in the picture on the right diligently supervising the students - a very easy job at the secondary level.











Below you find Rebekah talking to her students about a minor incident on the soccer field that occured while my kids were eating and the elementary group was on the pitch. I was supposed to be watching them too, but must have been distracted as I did not see the incident. I think I was talking to Alex, a New Zealand lad, about the possibility of playing rippa rugby - that is flag rugby to an American.


I will post more pics later, but this is all that blogspot seemed to accept today as they are large pixel pics.

No comments: